Monday, December 12, 2011

Upon having cell-phone-itis...in the bathroom?

Just finished posting or sharing a complaint on Facebook and decided to carry it over here. Actually, it's more of a rant. Again. Perhaps I've shared this before but since it is happening with increasing frequency, it's noteworthy and mentionable. What is really upsetting - at least to me - is that this practice is becoming more and more frequent and socially acceptable. Frequently, I get the urge to yell out: "she's on the toilet! Call back!"

Today while meandering through a mall in late afternoon and after one too many coffees, had to use a public bathroom. So I close the door behind me and as I'm getting ready to sit down, I hear a voice in the stall beside me (are female separations called stalls one wonders?) talking away animatedly. Wasn't sure whether the voice was addressing me so I listened for a minute and then realized by the topic that the person was on her cell phone while - well - peeing. This led me to wonder whether the conversation was a continuation of one that began prior to using the washroom, or perhaps she was on a long distance call but I digress. Surely the call could have continued after she had completed what she set out to do. It also can't be very hygeinic to use a cell phone while doing...whatever.

As a matter of fact and interest, researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Queen Mary, University of London, conducted a study that revealed a lot about people doing...whatever and cell phone usage. Researchers analyzed 780 swab samples with 390 from cell phones and the people who used them in twelve cities in the U.K. Findings revealed that 16% of both hands and phones were contaminated with E. coli, potentially illness-causing bacteria that is fecal in origin. Think about that the next time you absolutely have to discuss...whatever.

Related to this, I'm also amazed how people aren't afflicted with neck problems given their propensity to stare downward at cell phones and texted messages while walking. It would be interesting to know whether health professionals are dealing with afflictions related to these practices. Anybody know?

Still, it's perplexing as to the need to be connected all the time. Not in the bathroom, okay? We really don't want to know.

No comments: