Sunday, January 01, 2012

Resolving to resolve good intentions for the New Year

For whatever reason and on the arrival of the new year, we resolve to make changes in our lives. When you think about it, these modifications could easily be made throughout the year. It's as if the turning of year numbers wipes out all the things we wanted to do but somehow didn't happen.

As usual I'm aspiring to turn the scale; shift the scene, turn over a new leaf  in the hope that at least one of them will be realized.

"Good for you, Eleanor. How about sharing with us?"

- I'm going to make a concerted effort to cut back on painting images of fields and flowers and flowers and fields. The minute I take brush in hand, somehow, some way, those fields and flowers suddenly jump up on the canvas. There is a definite draw like a magnet to metal filings to this type of image as is adding a lake or river or water to the scene. Thing is - I'm not really good at water but it always seems to show up.

"Just stop buying blue paint, Eleanor! Voila! Water problem solved."

Were it that easy! My angst covers the color of water and rarely achieving the "right" color. The wrong shades are those that end up on the canvas. Should it be light blue...medium blue...aqua...green... Maybe pond water - or a river stream. It just never ends.

- When using the palette knife, I will also make a concerted effort not to cut the surface of the canvas

Moving on...

- I'm going to send my plays packing in the hope of finding a new home.

Really, really and I mean it this time, I'm going to do something progressive with my plays. Definitely more submitting and checking out the submission guidelines to find and ensure a good fit. What is a good fit, anyway? Let me put it this way: they wouldn't be submitted to a theatre that focuses on Shakespere.

- Focusing on re-writing and converting "Old Soldiers" into a radio play. Joe McKenna, the main character, isn't getting any younger

To quote Oprah Winfrey - the lady does have a way with words: "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments: