Saturday, September 29, 2012

Shaken - not stirred - 50 years of 007

Just thinking how to go about celebrating this day. In case you weren't aware of it and count me in among those who aren't, October 5, 2012, will be Global James Bond Day. According to a promotional blurb, producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, who added their two-cents-worth, "We are absolutely thrilled to be celebrating James Bond's golden addniversary on film with this special day of events for Bond fans around the world." Especially since another new Bond film is about to be released.

The word, "golden" infers 50 years so one assumes it's a means in which to mark fifty years of Bond films. Personally and in my view, Sean Connery exemplified "the" James Bond. Among my favorite is "You Only Live Twice", where James must find and stop some baaaad dudes from a skyjacking in order to prevent a nuclear war. Also on high on my like list is "Dr. No" where James has to stop SPECTRE from stopping rocket launches. The worst Bond portrayer in my view, was George Lazenby, who merely went through the motions in the film, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." Just didn't have the necessary Bond qualities. You know - charm, finesse, hero qualities and cocktail mixing know-how. Sorry but Daniel Craig doesn't do it for me, either. Just doesn't have that Bond charm. Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan did fit the bill but Sean still was the best.

The planned events to celebrate the golden anniversary includes a global online and live charity auction event organized by Christie's in London; a global survey in find out favorite Bond films, country-by-country; a Music of Bond Night in Los Angeles. Interesting to note that there are no special new martinis created in which to honor the man.

As Bond aficienodos know, 007 liked his martins, shaken - not stirred. However, recently and for whatever reason, Bond was made to gave up his martini in favor of imbibing in...well...beer. This was a very shocking move - at least for me. James Bond drinking a beer? What next? Maybe out of a bottle no less? Not that there's anything wrong with beer. Love a cold beer on a hot summer's day and enjoy it mixed with an un-cola but somehow and in my eyes, James Bond's personna does not go with beer.

SEDUCTIVE SPY
Make me a drink, James. You know - something cold that willcool down my hot mouth and slide down my throat

007
Got just the thing

SEDUCTIVE SPY
I heard that you're very adept in the liquid refreshment area, among other places

007
Watch me. First I take a bottle opener. Then I slip it under the bottle cap slowly, very slowly, pry the cap off until it gives in. Then I pour the contents into a large glass slowly and carefully and - voila!

SEDUCTIVE SPY
(putting on her clothes and heding for the door)
Sorry James but beer doesn't do it for me. Another time - another place... 'Boris - dahlink...'

But I digress.

Among the celebrations is an auction of Bond-related items to be auctioned off by Christie's on line until October 5 to benefit charities. Here is the coordinates for people who are interested in bidding on a momento: http://www.christies.com/sales/50-years-of-james-bond-september-2012/sale-info.aspx

Here is a clip from another of my favorites, "The Spy Who Loved Me" with Roger Moore as Bond. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgh-SAuT7hs

For those so inclined, here is the recipe for a James Bond Martini as per www.drinksmixer.com:

3 oz. gin
1 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. white wine

Pour gin, vodka and wine into a cocktail shaker half-filled with crracked ice. Shake well (not stirred obviously to get the real Bond feel.) and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon and serve.

How do you plan to celebrate?

 


  




No comments: