Saturday, January 15, 2011

Darn - my Virgo is now in Leo...or something since Ophiuchus entered the planetary system

I'm confused, which is nothing new for me. All my life I've been a Virgo with some of the virgo-ian qualities attributed to the sign. Now it appears that I've been wrong. Actually, many people are in the same predicament ever since Ophiuchus entered the picture.

One Park Kunkle, a board member of the Minnesota Planetarium Society, is of the opinion that the moon's gravitational pull has caused the Earth to slowly wobble on its axis, shifting the stars alignment by approximately, one month.

Did you feel a wobble? Neither did I!

According to a LiveScience article, astrological signs correspond to the position of the sun within the constellations as they appeared more than 2,000years ago. In a Time on-line piece, there is some background information provided on Ophiucus.

"The constellation Ophiuchus represents a man wrestling a serpent, dividing the snake's body in two parts. It is the only sign of the zodiac linked to real men, sharing traits with Imhotep, a 27th century BCE Egyptian doctor, and biblical Joseph.

Like Imhotep, Ophiuchus is considered a healer of men and a doctor of medicine or science. He seeks higher education and enlightenment. He is expected to achieve a high position in life."

So there you have it. 'O' as I now call him having problems pronouncing his real name, was one of the good people. So where does this leave we mortals? Depends how strongly one believes in astrology and its influence on humans. Could a mere wobble change the course of one's future, that is the question - or issue. Here is the new table of astrological signs plus the newcomer:


Capricorn: Jan. 20 to Feb. 16.
Aquarius: Feb. 16 to March 11.
Pisces: March 11 to April 18.
Aries: April 18 to May 13.
Taurus: May 13 to June 21.
Gemini: June 21 to July 20.
Cancer: July 20 to Aug. 10.
Leo: Aug. 10 to Sept. 16.
Virgo: Sept. 16 to Oct. 30.
Libra: Oct. 30 to Nov. 23.
Scorpio: Nov. 23 to 29.
*Ophiuchus: Nov. 29 to Dec. 17.
Sagittarius: Dec. 17 to Jan. 20.

This leaves one - me - to wonder if about my belief in my Virgo-ian qualities are really me. According to Astrology-online, Virgo-ian traits are "precision, refinement, fastidious love of cleanliness, hygiene and good order, conventionality and aristocratic attitude of reserve. They are usually observant, shrewd, critically inclined, judicious, patient, practical supporters of the status quo, and tend toward conservatism in all departments of life."

These are okay traits but now I discover that due to the new interloper, I am now a Leo and have these additional qualities, which one presumes replaces the Virgo one's, or maybe in addition to:
"In grandeur of manner, splendor of bearing and magnanimity of personality, they are the monarch's among humans as the lion is king of beasts. They are ambitious, courageous, dominant, strong willed, positive, independent, self-confident there is no such a word as doubt in their vocabularies, and they are self-controlled. Born leaders, either in support of, or in revolt against, the status quo."

My Facebook friend, Pauline, isn't having any of it.
" I was, and remain in my heart and mind, a Libra. I am too old for this sort of drastic change," Pauline commented in her comments.

Neither is Facebook-er, Debbie, who wrote "I won't do it!"

It will be interesting to see if astrologers and newspaper columns that traditionally use the 12 planets will be adding Ophiuchus. Really, it's not so bad in the end. Now there are two signs in which to check how our day will play out. Two futures are better than one. Right?

No comments: