Sunday, November 18, 2012

Writing for the numbers

I'm perplexed, which isn't an unusual state for me.

"There you go again, Eleanor. Now what's the problem?"

Did my daily blog check-in and discovered, to my surprise and horror that according to my page view count, nobody has read my blogs today. Not one person. Nada. Rien. Bupkis.

As one could expect, this has somewhat unnerved me since I've always strived to write and share interesting, somewhat controversial on occasion, weird-ish and witty in my opinion, copy. For whatever reason, nobody has felt the need to read today.

"So what's your theory as to the reason, Eleanor?"

Of course it's pure speculation on my part since there's no way to ascertain the cause unless blog readers actually post their reasons.

- Today being Sunday, people are busy doing...Sunday-ish things like watching football games or something...cleaning the gutters...walking the dog or cat

- People are hitting the malls early and getting a head start on fighting for a parking place, in order to buy holiday gifts

- People are taking care of personal hygeine Sunday tasks like cutting toe nails, picking up doggie-do in their back yard and related responsibilities

- People are absorbed in baking their Christmas fruitcake, which must be aged for the holiday with an ample amount of liquor. Just wondering why this is a sustained holiday favorite when many people that I know and having watched them eat it, pick out a large percentage of the fruit with their fork. Some leave it on the edge of their plate while others hide it in a napkin. But I digress.

- Sunday is the day for a gum massage and floss the teeth

- Sunday is the day set aside to make-some-green bean casserole. Related to fruit cake issue, why is this a sustained favorite? Anyone reading this want to share? Having only tasted this delicacy once in my life - that says something in itself - went on line to find out what exactly went into the making of this popular dish.

According to the Campbells Classic Soup site http://www.campbellskitchen.com/Recipes/RecipeDetails.aspx?recipeId=24099 (say that fast after a few drinks) , which has honored the dish with its own link, here are the ingredients for Classic Green Bean Casserole:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans
1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions


Speaking strictly for myself ("well who else would you be speaking for, Eleanor!"), somehow green beans, soy sauce and fried onions just don't do it for me. However, it is one popular holiday dish so who am I.

Moving on...

- Sunday is egg nog tasting day in order to obtain the perfect balance of nog and brandy or bourbon or rum, or all three

Although my consumption of egg nog is limited to a few tastings as a guest over the years, it definitely has earned a place on my tasty treat list. The ever-dependable and definitely too perfect, Martha Stewart, offers these ingredients on her site, to make her perfect nog.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 12 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup bourbon, (optional)
  • 1 cup chilled heavy cream
  • Grated nutmeg, (optional)
 

Really, getting back to the possible reasons, it's all speculation in the end but it does make one wonder. Have I lost it and more to the point, did I ever have it? I mean, go know! Then again, tomorrow is Monday, followed by Tuesday...

To quote Kingsley Amis: "If you can’t annoy somebody, there is little point in writing" Do I hear an amen?

No comments: