Some of my best thoughts occur while taking a walk. Perhaps it's all the visual stimulation while strolling through the neighborhood. It's time to share. Check back often since most likely more thoughts just may trickle in and feel free to share your thoughts about...anything.
CONFESSION: I LOVE FOOD SAMPLES!
Keep this to yourself but there's nothing more personally inviting than a trip to one of those big food distributors i.e. Costco et al that serve up food samples. The best time to get the primo samples is on Thursday to Saturday and maybe Sunday. Now that the holiday period is almost upon us, the various food companies really make their push with wine samples, delectable and yummy deserts, cooked meal samplings - it just never stops! In fact, one could (and does) go up and down the food aisles and make a whole meal of the samplings. Sometimes, there's a line-up of shoppers waiting for an opportunity to get freebies but line up they do. It's sort-of a game in that shopper/diners - okay...me - feign interest in the product to assuage feelings of guilt.
ME: "Oh this fattening but very delicious cake is on sale this week?" as I pick up the product with one hand, while holding the cake sample in the other, shovelling it into my mouth. "Let me think about it. Perhaps I'll be back."
ME: "My this is a delicious wine. Perfect for the holidays! And white, my favorite! Could I perhaps taste the red? And how about the rose? I have some other things to buy but I just may be back."
Instead, one (me) moves on to the next culinary delight waiting to be tried.
In a way, it's only right given the amount of money people put down at these super buy-in-bulk food warehouse type establishments.
OF BRA CUPS. MISSING CATS AND OTHER PAST BLOGS
Continually amazed at what attracts people to certain blogs. Over the years I've written and shared many topics with blog readers/aficionados but as I've shared previously, some continually surface.
One of the most popular pieces is the tale of Wookie the cat that went missing in Bedford, England. The piece was written almost two years ago and relates the story of Wookie's owner, Mike, who ran afoul of the law by posting missing cat notices on local Bedford trees, utility poles and anywhere presumably, that would hold a poster.
THE CHRISTMAS RETURN GIFT RUSH
Another older story that has re-surfaced is a piece focusing on an idea as to how to deal with the usual post holiday return gift rush. Although written tongue-in-cheek, readers seem to enjoy or at least consider the idea. Instead of standing in long line-ups and waiting a long period of time to return gifts, people in line can trade gifts with each other. Think of the time saved!
DUAL PURPOSE BRA
The most popular one by far is the piece written about a recipient of the quirky Ig Nobel Prize whose invention of a bra that can double as a gas mask. Next thing we'll hear about is a bra that can shoot bullets...the mind boggles (at least mine does).
Maybe it's just me but it really irks me that the retail industry is promoting the holiday periods earlier and earlier. Is there any logical explanation, other than greed, for the appearance of holiday decorations on store shelves and decorated malls in August or September?
And now for some PICKS AND PANS
- the first sip of tea and coffee to start the day
- the sight of Canada geese flying in 'V" formation
- the lick of a dog...the pur of a cat...
- popcorn at a movie
- finishing a painting canvas that draws me in
- finishing a great piece of writing after being blocked
- Debrett's: the site for everything pertaining to social etiquette
Add to this list with YOUR personal bests and favorites.
- bra straps that stretch and the uplift goes downward
- water sprays that go amock in produce depts.
- forgetting to re-charge the cell phone
- forgetting to add sound after muting cell phone in movie theatre
- coffee served in paper cups - blech
- tea served in paper cups - double-blech
- people who carry on cell phone conversation in bathroom stalls
- the new and "improved" Blogger that freezes at every fifth word. New and improved in this case is definitely not better. In fact - it's unacceptable. Give bloggers the option of the old but reliable classic blogger. Blech and more blech.
November 16: Some new additions to the list:
- drivers of cars who follow people returning to their cars uncomfortably close, in order to get the parking spot
- drivers who drive round and round mall parking lots in order to get a spot close to the door. At the price of gasoline - so silly
- drivers who park in spots designated specifically for handicapped persons and pregnant women. For shame, people!
- singers on TV talent competitions - female for the most part - that believe screaming lyrics to songs make them a diva
- people who keep a running commentary while watching a film in a theatre. Really - we're not interested in your opinion!
- stale popcorn served in a movie theatre
- luke warm french fries at fast food restaurants. I return them.
- related to above, hamburger buns that fall apart due to soggy sauce