Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Stranger's Last Wish...whoever...whatever

Like many people reading this I'm a cyber $$$ millionaire a few times - more than a mere few times - over but today, posted directly in one of my e-mail's bulk file, I was asked to fulfill a dying man's wish. This letter joins all the others including one from my Nigerian friend, Mr. Nagobukutu along with hundreds - nay - thousands of "friends" from around the globe. However, this was my first letter from a dying friend.

It's true! Really!

As is the case with all the other "offers" the request came by letter and I know it was directed to me personally because it was addressed: "dear friend." The sender, a virtual stranger in the true sense of the word, seeked me out personally explaining, "I got your contact informations from the web data directory when I was searching for a relaible individual to assist me in this project." I mean - how much more personal can it get?

Before going into his spiel...I mean to say, before he explained the purpose of his letter, he wrote: "I don't want you to feel SORRY or PITY for me because I believe everyone will die someday. My name is Mr. Larry -----, a merchant in Dubai in the U.A.E. I have been diagnosed with prostate and esophageal Cancer that was discovered lately due to my laxity in caring for my health. It has defiled (a Freudian slip perhaps?) all forms of medicine and right now,I have only about few months to live according to medical experts."Furthermore," he went on to confess and/or reflect on his past, "I have not particularly lived my life so well as I never really cared for anyone not even myself but my business. I wasn't too generous, I was always hostile to people and only focused on my businesses as that was the only thing I cared for. But now I regret all this as I now know that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world."

Oh yeah?

Larry - I'm sure he doesn't mind me using his first name since I feel that we became cyber buds in the money sense - then went on the juicy part where he explained that he was rich and "the last of my money, which I planned to use in openning a shopping complex in London is a huge cash deposited with a Financial Security Firm abroad. I want to donate it to any worthy, charity organisation, hence my contacting you with blind trust having been led by my intuition of goodwill."

Aw Larry! Such generosity!

'Intuition of goodwill' - such poetic drivel...I mean, self-expression.

Anyway, the gist of his communique was "...I am looking for a trustworthy individual/firm to help me collect this deposited funds with the Financial Firm abroad and dispatch it to charity organizations and let them know that I, Mr Larry ---- is making this generous donation as a dying man's last wish."

Now ain't he just the greatest? I get all choked up at the point where he says he is writing his letter to me in a hospital bed on a laptop computer.

He closes his comminique by writing: " I have decided to offer you 25% of the total sum and also set aside 5% for all your expenses (i.e for any expenses you may incure during the process of this project).

I mean...here's a guy - Larry - a stranger let's not forget - who makes me an offer that I can easily refuse! Is there no end to how much cyber money a person can make?

Anybody else receive a letter from Larry? If not - I'm sure he'll get to you all sooner or later.

Writers & Friends forum
www.jrslater.com/forum

No comments: