Monday, December 20, 2010

My tweet level ain't so tweet

As if I don't have enough Twitter-related complexes to deal with what with Twitter losing my followers count a while back and now something new has been added to the equation.

Seems that a tweet-er (always makes me feel like a bird, somehow) can now, if she/he really wants to know, find out her tweet rating in comparison to other famous and regular tweet-ers. Thinking further, I should never have clicked on to Tweet Level and definitely should not have looked into my rating. Ignorance is bliss and all that. However, curiousity got the better of me or perhaps it was merely ego.

It's very simple. All one has to do is to type or key in one's name in the tweet level box and then depress the calculate button or whatever you wanna call it. The results are broken down into four categories and in my case here aer the results:

Influence 30.1
Popularity 29.7
Engagement 25.6
Trust 14

According to the accompanying explanation blurb, my Influence Score could increase if I followed more people and get them to tweet more to me, presumably, take part in conversations, post interesting content and express whatever is on my mind (no help needed in the latter). Here I thought I was doing to pretty good job! There have been opportunities where people have followed me in an attempt to get me to follow them. Thing is, many are obvious and overt business promotions that don't interest me. If I don't follow them, they almost always drop me. Oh well - I can live with it!

Moving on, my Popularity Score is low and based on how many followers I have and the lists my name is included on.
"Many Twitter measurement tools purely rank people according to this metric, however just because someone is popular doesn't mean they are influential," the Tweet Level whatever relates. It suggests that my popularity could be increased if I follow people who are relevant to the areas that I find interesting. Perhaps, but even with people with whom there is commonality doesn't necessarily mean their level of interest warrants me as a follower.

See what I mean? Yet more Twitter-related angst.

Seems that my Engagement score is low due to the means in which I interact with my community and offers a reminder that Twitter is about conversations. Interesting conversations.
"Take the time to know the people who follow you and contribute to the many interesting discussions out there," is their suggestion. In other words and IMHO, jump in on any and all on-going conversations, no matter what the subject and/or the inane comments posted.

My Trust score is low so I'm informed, because my content tweeted is "either not credible, interesting or newsworthy." Oh goody - such positive feedback! The Edelman Trust Barometer whoever or whatever they are, states that 77% of people refused to buy products or services from a company they distrusted. Thing is - I'm not selling a product as many of the tweeters appear to do.

"Trust can be measured by the number of times someone is happy to associate what you have said through them – in other words, how often you are re-tweeted. To increase your trust score create more posts that will give your followers a reason to retweet what you have said."

And so we go around and around and around in circles.

I dunno. When it's all said and done or written, the bottom line is don't look for trouble and stay away from gadgets that will tell you what you don't want to know. I'll just wait for the right tweeters to come along and follow me for the right reasons, whoever they are.

BTW and for the record, top Tweeters are KhloeKardashian has an influence rating of 92.9, The Ellen Show rates 99.6 in popularity and Justin Bieber has a 100% popularity rating.

No comments: