Thursday, December 02, 2010

Do They Know It's Christmas hits a sour note with Bob Geldof

I dunno. If I was a talented song writer and performer like Bob Geldof, I'd be thrilled that my songs were being heard - and played - and appreciated by music lovers all over the planet. However, this isn't the case.

In fact Geldof regrets in a big way having even written "Do They Know It's Christmas" and "We Are the World" since they are sung, played and heard, everywhere, even the supermarkets and therein lies the problem.

"I am responsible for two of the worst songs in history. One is 'Do They Know It's Christmas? The other one is 'We Are The World,' he told Australia's Daily Telegraph. "Any day soon, I will go to the supermarket, head to the meat counter and it will be playing. Every [expletive] Christmas."

Yes Bob - I admit I heard it recently while shopping in a mall and mentally sang along. What can I say? I'm crass.

Geldof wrote the songs with Midge Ure for the now famous Band Aid in 1984 but he gets up tight when carolers perform the hit in front of his house during Christmas.

Hey Bob - that is the ultimate honor! Not to be over-looked is the attention the songs brought to starving people in a part of the world that most likely wouldn't have received help.

"They think 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' is as old as 'Silent Night,'" Geldof went on to say. "Sometimes I think that's wild because I wrote it. Or else I am thinking how much I want them to stop because they are doing it really badly."

Oh please, Mr. Geldof! Me thinks the writer/singer doth protest too much. Given the popularity of both songs, it's unlikely that both will be removed from the play list during holiday time. Get over it and savor the success is my reaction!

No comments: