Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rant time - physically "normal" people who park in handicapped zones

Rant time and this time the subject focuses on a very serious subject. Question of the day: why do people who are physically healthy park in the limited spaces reserved for people who aren't?

Turned into a small parking lot to do some indoor banking and while searching for a place, spotted a young woman who appeared to be in her 30's, rushing into her car and preparing to back up out of the spot. At that point, especially since it was raining and being close to the entrance of the bank, it would have been an ideal parking spot for us. Another spot became empty and we parked there instead. Getting out of the car, my attention focused on the woman who had backed out and saw that her space had been set aside for handicapped persons by a bright yellow wheelchair painted on the cement. Perhaps I shouldn't have been shocked but I was and as she slowly passed and our eyes met, I tilted my head up and stared at the designated handicap parking space and then glared at her. She turned her head and glanced backwards, looked at me and then sped off.

It's not the first time I've seen "normal" people use these spaces for a quick run in to a supermarket or pharmacy...or wherever. It's not like they don't see that they are specifically marked as such and by law the malls have to put aside specific areas for people who aren't physically capable of walking far or use wheelchairs. You can't blame the mall owners since there is no way for them to ensure that the wrong people don't park where they shouldn't be. In the end it's up to people's good will and conscience to do the right thing. Big deal - so they have to walk a few extra steps!

The lyrics of the song, "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" says it perfectly: "If I could be you and you could be me for just one hour
If we could find a way to get inside each other's mind..."

Enough said.

No comments: